Since the start of traveling by sea the Lighthouse has always been there to give us light and guide us in the right direction. The first bricks of the Lighthouses were built in 1716 at the Boston Harbour, ever since the towers has grown by the coast-line around the world, welcoming new arrivals.
40° 38′ 34.14″ N, 8° 44′ 52.07″ W
The Aveiro Lighthouse, also known as of Praia da Barra is the tallest lighthouse in Portugal. It’s an active lighthouse in the Portuguese district of Aveiro, situated on the coastal Praia da Barra, at the southern margin of the Ria de Aveiro. The 62 meters high (focal height of 66 meters) lighthouse has a light range of 43 kilometers (23 nautical miles), that’s almost as long as it’s around Manhattan(!).
The construction of the lighthouse started 1879. For navigators the lighthouse served as lookout and fixed star, that the dangers of big storms and tempests, warned those that could shipwreck, to escape from that inhuman wave, which subverts ships. The first beacon was an incandescent petrol lamp and horn combination and began to operating in 1893. The lighthouse would later be supported by a first-order lamp, with four clarions. The Holmes fog signal was installed at the same time to provide a warning in the fog.
In 1929, the lighthouse was repaired following the several faults and failures that caused by oscillations in the tower. In 1935, the signal horn was moved into the interior of the building following its predecessor being swept away during a storm, and a year later, the building was electrified with the installation of a generator. In 1947, the beacon was substituted by the current installation, a small third-order Fresnel lens beacon with panels.
The round stone tower rises from a two-story lighthouse keeper‘s house, supported by a spiral staircase of 271 steps, followed by an additional 20 steps, while the elevator rises through the middle of the spiral stairway. If you want to visit Aveiro Lighthouse, it’s open to the public and visits are held on Wednesdays from 14.00 to 17.00.
20° 9′ 35.95″ N, 110° 41′ 4.36″ E
In the province of Hainan located on a sharp promontory in the southern parts of China, Mulantou Lighthouse (Chinese; 木栏头灯塔), rises over the cliffs and landscapes looking out over the Indian Ocean. The lighthouse that also is known as the Hainan Head Light is the fifth tallest in the world and the tallest in China with a height of 72 meters (237 feet). Only the Yokohama Marine Tower in Japan is taller in the continent of Asia.
Build out of concrete, Mulantou first lit up in 1995 and has ever since then with a light range of 46 km and its characteristic two white flashes every 15 seconds been guiding ships and boat to the nearby harbours. Not far from the Hainan province cities as Zhanjiang and Haikou, the last one known for the famous poems. The white body with red trim leads up to a large circular observation room on the top, open for the public. On the balcony you as a visitor have a beautiful view out over the sea and countryside.
The Mulantou Lighthouse has been listed in the “1000 loneliest places in the world”.
Whether Mulantou will remain the tallest lighthouse in China time will tell. But its timeless purpose of giving light to the most needed will always be fulfilled.
45° 40′ 32.28″ N, 13° 45′ 25.23″ E
The Vittoria lighthouse protects the Gulf of Trieste in northeastern Italy. With its height of 68 meters it’s one of the tallest lighthouses in the world. The light range is impressive 41 kilometers, which is almost as long as a marathon. One of the main reasons to make the monument that high was to outdo the Berlin Victory Column which was 62 meters at that moment.
Vittoria Lighthouse was first meant to be raised a bit south of Trieste, in today’s Croatia but eventually they found a better spot on the hill of Gretta and upon the foundations of the old Austrian fort Kressich.
The big construction of the lighthouse started in 1923 and finished in 1927. Arduino Berlam is the name of the architect and he decided to build Vittoria as a cylindrical stone tower and crown it with a bronze statue. The building celebrates the victory in World War I and therefore it’s also known as the Victory Lighthouse. The lighthouse was closed for restoration in 1979 and reopened in 1886. On the Lighthouse there is an inscription that says: “SPLENDI E RICORDA I CADUTI SUL MARE MCMXV-MCMXVIII” which means ”Shine and remind of the fallen on sea 1915-1918”.